Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The one that nearly got away (updated)

It had been 4 frustrating months. The wait was fraught with anticipation and hope. Then, it finally happened.

It started with a fluttering sensation in the tummy area, something like being touched by butterfly wings. Then, it started to get uncomfortable, felt like gas, but it was not. Perhaps it was hunger, still it was not.

After a full day at work, I stole some time to visit him, my handsome OBGYN. From Paramount Garden in Sea Park to his clinic at Taman Tun took all of 20 min. That was when your existence was confirmed and another long wait started, i.e for you to make an appearance!

4 weeks after that, there was still no sign of a heartbeat . The kind doctor wanted to terminate, `Try again', he said, `you're still young'. And I thought, `No way!' I said,` We'll wait another week. Or two.' If I had listened to him that day, we would never have gotten to know one another!

As if on cue, there goes the racing heartbeat almost popping out of the scan monitor during the next visit!

At the end of the first trimester, because of you, I was given a long bed rest, threatening to drop out way, way before time! Injections and visits to Dr Idris put that threat to rest.

I hardly had trouble once you got settled in. Save for the intense kicking I got whenever I stood by the sink (I got away from washing a lot of dirty dishes because of that!), everything was smooth sailing, no morning sickness, no blues, fit as a fiddle! I never forget the old wives advise Veronica, my office mate gave, she said `You must drink orange juice and soya bean to give her fair skin, carrot juice to give her good eyes and good skin, papaya if you don't want to constipate' Looking at you now, I guess she knew what she was talking about! (Thank you Veron!, wherever you are, may God bless you)

So that was my daily menu for nine months! Two oranges squeezed fresh, 1 glass of soya bean, 1 glass of milky carrot drink and one slice of papaya daily! Boy, could I eat and drink! Not forgetting one McD sundae from the drive in at Ampang Park at about 11.30pm everynight!

At 34 weeks, my BP started to escalate. Despite a doctor's appointment every two days and a series of sick leave which I failed to take up (remember, I was fit as a fiddle!), it shot up uncontrollably. Dr Idris threatened to have me arrested for endangering your life. (Did you know that Doctors are allowed to do that? Yes, they can! Serious!)

At 38 weeks, 2 weeks ahead of schedule I was asked to check in. The Doctor was worried that I had failed to respond to medication.

`13 January, bright and early', the Doctor said, `we'll have to get her out'. Once he left for the night, I had my dinner and talked to my room-mate, a policewoman who was humongous with twins! At just about midnight 12 January, my water bag broke, still no pain, in fact there wasn't any until about 4.30am. And by 6.25 am, I became a mother and you, kiddo! became my sunshine!




You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine,
You make me happy,
When skies are grey.

You never know dear
How much I love you
Please don't take
My sunshine away

Your `favoritest' song when you were a baby. Actually it was the only song with notes my voice could reach. Didn't matter to you then. Now when I sing, you tell me , MUM, pls don't murder the song....

My first question to the attending nurse was, How many fingers and toes does she have? (I should have asked, how many mouths!)



(Sorry, Ma malas nak cari pic, so I had to use one walaupun kakak enter frame, lagipun you told me, you don't like pic yang lawa-lawa!)

The venue : Klinik OBGYN Dr Idris, Taman Tun Dr Ismail
The date : 13 January 1990
The baby : YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AYANG! LOVE YOU LOTS!

11 comments:

CS said...

Happy birthday Ayang ... Aunty doakan Ayang bertemu jodoh mengikut 'spesifikasi' dan criteria Ayang ;-) and yes, you look like Adik, syomel!

Anne, got some resemblance here (as always?). My 1st born was at Klinik Tmn Tun; the gynae then was Dr Harris. Anak kita sama star ek?

Lili said...

Salam Anne,

Here is another "hallmark moment" for me... you know the sniffing, silent crying... wiping away my silly, silly tears! hmm..never mind... Have to tell you though, this posting touches not only me but all mothers who went through such experience. And the first question seemed mandatory for all mothers! Muahaha! I remember my asking the nurse the same, and she happily convinced me, 'perfect!' Only later I felt guilty when she held my baby before me and to my horror the nurse herself had deformed fingers on both her hands.....

To Ayang, Happy Birthday... May Allah bless you always. (Sorry, this is a belated birthday wish.. how come I did not get this new entry at my blogroll?)

anneaziz said...

CS,

Kata Ayang, orang yang star sama dgn dia (e.g Dato' CT) ramai yang kaya...boleh percaya ke? Wakaka! Harap2 betul ye...banyak lagi tempat dalam donia ni yang I teringin nak lawat! Boleh kita pi sama2...sebab anak CS pun kaya! Ameeen!

Tak ingat pulak I kat Dr Harris. The paediatrician I ingat nama Dr Azman.

anneaziz said...

Salam Ateh,

I tengah siapkan order coklat semalam tu, tetiba datang pulak ilham menulis, so tanpa berlengah....

Anyway apa yang I cerita was her favorite birthday story when she was small. She made me repeat the story everytime we celebrated her Bday.

Kudos to all nurses, deformed or not, who helped to deliver our babies, deformed or not.

Ayang,

Cakap terima kasih kat doa aunty ateh lili!
(Can't stop being a mother eventho' the baby is now 20!)

(Incidentally, Lili was my nama manja for her when she was small)

Thanks Ateh!

anneaziz said...

Ayang,

That goes to Aunty CS too...dia pandai buat muffins and cupcakes tau? Ayang kan suka muffins!

Thnak you CS!

Lili said...

Hmm... Aunty Ateh Lili is redundant! Ateh is already 'aunt' in pangkat Perak. But, never mind... I like it anyway! Hehe!

Come every birthday, the old record about their arrival is played year in, year out... Our children are always our babies no matter how grey they get! My mother still dotes me and my siblings as if we were seven... Wahaha!

CS said...

Anne, amin! wpun my anak tak kaya2 lagi tapi haraplah dia kaya dgn budi bahasa (macam.. umi dia, heheh).

Correction: I buat kapkek aje not muffins. Tu pun biasa2 jer. Takde rotan, kayu pun berguna,auwww.

You tak kenal Dr Harris? Psst... ishhh.. better dont spill the beanslah.. *giggle*

kak ja said...

Ayang ada ka pic yg lawa2? kan semua gambaq dia khemot2 n pelik2?

Called her early in the morning yesterday.. Said to her, Ayang, mak ngah dok ingat lagi time c**** Ayang jd rashes, sapu drapolene.. Ish ish ish.. dah 20 taun dah ayang no?

Dia punya respon, sdh tentulah, "MAK NGAH NIIIIHHHH!!!"

Unknown said...

I said this at Uncle Lee, and I'm gonna say it again here..that no child is born without the sacrifices of a mother..right from the day a child is conceived to the time of delivery...and beyond..yes, you make light of it..but I know sometimes it is a touch and go situation..and that at the point of delivery a mother's life is on a thread..

so cherished your mom, gal..you r 20 now..at an age where any mom's heart is full of trepidation..but there was a time when you were just a little bundle..and she had no time for anything else but you..perhaps, even now..happy birthday from pakmat..may you one day be a mother as loving and as caring as your mother is..
cheers..

anneaziz said...

Cik Ja,

I've posted one slightly presentable pic of the not quite 20 girl.

Ayang kata bukan makngah yang sapu drapolene, mimi lah!

anneaziz said...

Salam Pakmat,

I'll make sure Ayang reads your comments, AUUUWW! rasa nak nangis!

THank you!