Monday, October 19, 2009

I WILL SURVIVE!

Recent events in my life has forced me to take another look at how people perceive me.

Sometimes in trying to be polite as what we perceive society expect from us, we run the risk of being ambiguous to the extent of being misunderstood. Things that should be clearly said or explained are given the run-around-the-banana-tree treatment, till they sometime seems to make no sense at all, or at best, unclear. Is it the Malay dilemma or is it just me?

Malays are very well known for `berbudi bahasa' to the hilt. I dare say we are the only race who are expected to sacrifice our offspring rather than let old traditions die...(Biar mati anak, jangan mati adat) and being rude, obnoxious or narcissistic is just not Malay culture. But in reality, does anyone appreciate a martyr?

We try to live the best way we know how, or how we were brought up to behave, or how we taught ourselves derived from our experience. And one thing which I have learnt from first hand experience is nobody is going to fight your war for you, do it for yourself. Still I am bound by my Malayness, so I do it in my own polite, roundabout way.

Now I learn a new lesson, sometime you need to be rude, rough, lack empathy and shout your way through to get your point across, demand an answer!

All this because, some people think, when you are nice and sweet and request for explanation nicely and stand up for your rights politely, you are perceived to be meek and weak, something soft and nice to be trodden upon. In short, someone to victimise.

Well, not anymore, brother! Thanks for the wake-up call!



There's always sunshine after the rain


PS/ I would like to welcome the latest addition to the family, a baby boy safely delivered to my sis by C section today.

Well adik, since I rescued you from a life in Nibong Tebal, you owe me this right to name your son.
Welcome to the world, Muhammad Aniq Irfan, may you be blessed with God's guidance in all aspects of your life.

4 comments:

Naz in Norway said...

Alhamdulillah! Congratulations to the parents, the uncles, the aunts and the whole gang.
Welcome to the world, Mohammad Aniq Irfan :)

I used to be meek before and naturally, I was easy prey. Growing up away from home and then now, stuck here in the north pole, i turned into a mak dara almost overnight!
kita baik, Kak Anne, tetapi setiap benda ada had. So shout if you must and make the world listen! :)

CS said...

Anne, reading this has brought a tinge of sadness in me. True as what you said, we fight our own war, no one will do it for us. Nak harap kat sape lagi? I am not vocal and always sopan (betul tak tipu nih); but the time has come for me to fight my own battle!

Tahniah dpt nephew baru (yg akan pakai baju rofol2). I difahamkan riuh rendah memasing nak beri nama kat baby tu, hehe.. But that name Aniq.. it reminds me of my jiran's maidlah you.. (eh, relevan ke kata2 I nih?)

anneaziz said...

Naz,

My suggestion has been shot down by the parents who are mulling over some other possibilities.... ungrateful! I should have left her in Nibong Tebal, hehehe!

anneaziz said...

Cik Som,

Yes! Women rule the world!

Kekadang kita niat baik, cakap elok2 penuh sopan santun, tapi orang tak appreciate. Orang suka layan yang kasar, demanding, brash, suka swear2! Ok, if that's what you want, you got it!

A`ah...kesian nephew pakai baju ropol...mak dia lah cakap pompuan memula tu! Nasiiiiiib la!