Thursday, May 22, 2008

the constant gardener


The Constant Gardener was a really moving story starring Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. What is it with Ralph Fiennes that really intrigue me? He has a knack for choosing movies which move you..remember The English Patient;? Ralph and Juliette Binoche starred in that one.(Juliette was the heroine in Chocolat, another beautiful movie with my other favorite actor, Johnny Depp)

The Constant Gardener ~ deals with heavy stuff the world is facing. Pharmaceutical companies and their underhanded tactics of illicit drug testing in third world countries; human stories which tug at your heart strings, and how the human spirit stands up to fight for it's rights when it involves the ones that matter to you. [And of course, the English Patient..i just want to cry...]

I was doing my gardening this morning as usual..which was why I remembered the movie. Although there's hardly any earth-moving story behind my morning activity, these few observations crossed my mind while I was pulling out the weed:

1) you don't need to plant weed~ it'll just grow. The more you let it be, the more it thrives.
2) in complete contrast, plants that you want to grow, you have to sow, nurture, ensure it gets all the required nutrients for it to grow well, still, sometimes despite all your effort it will just die.

What has this observation got to do with us?
My point~ kids are like plants. If we let them be, they'll grow to be just like weed. And the more we let them be, the weed will thrive and it might even choke other plants.
Kids need nurturing, love, attention, sunshine, disciplining (most plants require pruning to maintain shape and encourage new foliage/ flowering) and a whole lot of Doa (there are things beyond our mere mortal control)

Love your kids and nurture them. Pull out the weed.

(Ayang, mama doakan you'll turn out okay...I 've given my best effort and my hope is for you to go out there and remember tugas kita sebagai Khalifah di bumi Allah)

No comments: