Saturday, August 15, 2009

WORDS

Recently something happened which got me wondering about the impact of carelessly chosen words on the feelings of others.

Sometimes, although we try our best to say things clearly and carefully choose our words, they still end up hurting the feelings of people around. What more when words are carelessly spoken.

In our conviction that we are on the right track, we trample upon the sensitivities of others, at times, unintentionally and at others, knowingly, deliberately. Unkind words tumble out of our mouths. These are times we forget that there are two sides to a coin. Wisdom is to recognise these moments and agree to disagree.

It is difficult to admit it when this happens. Should the perpetrator apologize or simply dismiss the idea of apologizing as preposterous?

Never underestimate the power of words.
Say the word and heal/bridge the divide.


LIFE IS TOO SHORT!

4 comments:

Naz in Norway said...

Kak Anne,
yes, sometimes being right is not all that important compared to maintaining good relation. As I get older, I think I have gotten much better at ignoring hurtful words/things thrown either at me or my loved ones. There are no truth in them and they do not matter anyway.

-- and I discovered the healing power of forgiving. You don't forgive for the sake of the other person because it is actually you who benefit most from it.

my two cents..

OMG! my word veri is *the farting pope* in norsk :D

anneaziz said...

Naz,

Forgiving is the start to the healing process, agreed.

You just wish that ppl understand or see that apologizing does not mean admitting you are wrong in the first place, in fact it is a show of character (or lack of it for not apologizing!)

The same with forgiving...in fact the truest test of strength of the character is in forgiving ppl who wronged you!

We just have different ways of moving on…but won’t the world be a better place if we are not so stuck up on our ideas and think everyone else’s are just crap?

The farting pope? You lost me there…I think what you said is fine…but it takes a lot of will power to walk the talk.

You take care…

CS said...

Anne, apa yg u tulis banyak terkena kat batang hidung I (yg mancung tak mancung nih). U know, just when I try to strengthen silaturrahim, just when I learn to forgive (unconditionally) ... and to forget venomous words hambur kat I, I got 'smacked down' even harder. Sedih taw..

anneaziz said...

Ala cik som,

Jangan sedeh2! Banyak pahala you dpt untuk menyambung or mengstrengthenkan silaturrahim Biar lah depa dgn dunia depa...kita doakan yg terbaik...Teruskan mencuba!

I always feel that you can really tell someone's character when they open their mouth. So kalau venom yang keluaq...sohih dia ....ULAQ! LARI!!!!!!